Saturday, September 11, 2010

CSA filled Tacos

Last night, after we ate this dinner, we headed off to a party. My internship director invited me, and all he said was "they have a treehouse, they hired a DJ, and they're roasting an entire goat". We did time it to show up when the goat *wasn't* being roasted, and had already been taken down and divvied up. We both had a great time, and the party was wonderful. The DJ even jumped over the side of the treehouse in the rock climbing harness they keep for that purpose. Oh, and there was a keg. Let me just say, having lots of drunk people crawling up into a two story + tree house, and then jumping over the edge, seemed like it was full of YouTube potential. As a non-drinker, I always get to enjoy the antics of those around me who *are* partaking. But, on to what you come here for- the food!



Lately I've been trying to use up the random things I have in the pantry before buying more groceries, since between said random things and our CSA I have a lot of options. This was a pantry + CSA = dinner creation last night. Blue corn organic taco shells that had been hiding on the top shelf were stuffed with sauteed squash, zucchini, green bell peppers, and white onions, topped with the avocado sauce from the other night, chipotle salsa, red onions, and chopped rainbow swiss chard. Everything except the salsa and avocado sauce is from our CSA. We've been getting so many different things the last few weeks and it's been awesome. I served it with black beans and rice from a box, to which I added two cups of some more chopped rainbow swiss chard. This was super good and very easy. It might not be gourmet, but that's not really my aim :) I like healthy, simple, and relatively quick when it comes to day to day dinners. I'm much more likely to cook, and enjoy cooking, without having to make everything a big production.

2 comments:

  1. I guess it's good you had been warned about the goat. The tacos look good - it's great to have success using up whatever you have on hand. Oddly, that gives you great variety in the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm glad I knew about it too. Just so I could decide if I wanted to be there or not during that portion. It's pretty intense seeing an entire animal being cooked- I have before- and I kind of thought, you know, let's just come a little later :)

    And I agree with you- necessity breeds invention and that counts in the kitchen too!

    ReplyDelete