Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sunshine Burgers at Sunset

After a week in Chicago with our mutual friend Jo, Bobby flew out to join us on Friday night. The three of us spent the weekend in the city, and then Bobby and I hopped on the Amtrak Labor Day afternoon and headed back to Colorado. It's a pretty painless train ride- we got on at 2 p.m. on Monday, and arrived in Denver at 8:30 a.m. the next morning. We got a sleeper car, which was very much like staying in a Transformers Hotel room. Everything in it served at least two functions, and could be folded and turned into something else. Plus it's much more comfortable than sleeping in the coach car seats- I've done the 36 hour Los Angeles to Seattle train ride, and it's hard to sleep when someone keeps waking you up to offer you vodka. But anyway, on to the food...


It was pretty painful to have to toss out so much CSA produce, but Bobby simply couldn't eat it fast enough on his own, and then both of us were gone for those three days. So, after cleaning out the fridge today, I threw together a meal- yes, this sounds just like my post before last, I know, but we've been doing tons of traveling lately! We had BBQ sunshine burgers topped with a sauce I threw together in the food processor: avocado, red onion, fresh garlic, garlic salt, pepper, a splash of raspberry lime dressing, a handful of cashews, and a dash of Frank's Red Hot. Tomatoes from the CSA were chopped and sprinkled on top.

The burgers were served with pickled beets purchased from our local farmer's market, as well as roasted veggies spiced with cumin, salt, and pepper: green bells and squash from our CSA, and organic red onion. I topped them with more of the spicy avocado spicy cream sauce because it was really, really good.

Right as I was finishing up my last bite, I noticed a streak of pink from the sliding doors. I got up to investigate, and found this awesome sunset filling up the sky. Literally 5 minutes later it was gone. I loved Chicago and I already miss Jo, but it is so good to be back home.

6 comments:

  1. I like burger and there so many burger I have tried but this burger is new for me.This is a really very interesting burger.Thanks for the interesting stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! You can get Sunshine Burgers at most health food type stores- like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Newflower, Sunflower Market, etc. They're made with sunflower seeds as the protein, so it's a nice change from soy or black beans. Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luuuurve pickled beets. Really, really love them. I will have to see if my farmer's market carries them.

    The train experience sounds kind of awesome. I did an overnight train in a sleeper car when my college BFF and I were in Bulgaria and I couldn't sleep a wink because I was convinced we'd miss our stop and we'd be stranded and I'd only know how to say, "I can't speak Bulgarian." The toilets were holes that emptied out onto the train tracks. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea how much I loved them until about 4 months ago, and now we're in it for the long haul :)

    Trains and I have a solid relationship. They save me from having to get on my arch nemesis- a plane :) Bobby and I are planning to do the trans-siberian railroad from St. Petersburg to Beijing, going through Mongolia, in the next two years. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, look at that sky. What's the onomatopoeia for a whistle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, I don't know. We should make one up! :)

    ReplyDelete