Friday, January 21, 2011

Back in the Swing of Things

It's been a long time, I know. The datestamp on the last post is practically waggling its finger at me like a chiding grandmother, and man I hate letting my Granny down! I'll try and work through the guilt and get this post out. I don't want you to think that the lack of posting means that I haven't been cooking- on the contrary, I've been cooking a lot, and taking lots of pictures, it's just the execution that's been lacking. So, let's jump right in with a picture heavy post, shall we? We shall.
Oh, hello there beautiful rainbow beets. What delicious culinary pleasures do you have in store?
If you ever want to coax yourself into falling in love with vegetables, I suggest roasting them in some quality olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, and a good strong fresh herb- I used rosemary here. This vegetable mix included the beets pictured above, as well as red, orange, green, and yellow bell peppers, red onions, squash, and zucchini.
Here they are after a little visit to a 400 degree oven, for about 45 minutes.
I whipped up a creamy tomato based sauce, but since I wing most of my sauces it's hard to remember everything I dumped in there. I do remember loosely creating a red pepper cashew vegan cheese sauce, before mixing it, in batches, with canned crushed tomatoes. I'm certain a splash of coconut milk went into this mix.
The roasted veggies meet their new friend, creamy sauce.
And then they dogpile some orecchiette pasta. It's things like creating a sauce from scratch, and roasting a large variety of vegetables, that give simple veggie pasta dishes like this an interesting depth. I think that the reason so many people like meat in their pasta dishes is because vegetarian options at restaurants are notoriously boring and bland. I mean, what's fun about getting charged $12 for a pile of noodles swimming in watery tomato sauce that looks deceptively like Prego from a can? Pretty much nothing. Another good variation if you want a fast sauce is to take a portion of the roasted veggies and run them through your food processor with some coconut milk, before adding it to some roughly chopped tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes from a can, and the rest of the roasted veggies. This is a fast way to make an interesting tomato sauce with minimal work involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment