Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Trash Can Magic Smoothie

I think bananas have some sort of magical property when blended smoothie style. They can simultaneously mask certain things- kale, spinach, chunks of broccoli- while stepping aside and graciously amplifying the flavors of other things- a dollop of peanut butter, a swirl of coconut milk, a handful of berries. Knowing the magical properties of bananas was what convinced me that the following smoothie would actually be edible. Plus, it allows me to use up all sorts of bits and bobs in my fridge.

I had about 1/4 a cup of pureed organic pumpkin along with about 1/4 a cup of unsweetened, organic, full fat coconut milk leftover from other kitchen endeavors during the week. Respectively those two items are not the most thrifty of ingredients, and I was loathe to waste them. So I threw them in with about 1/4 a cup of blueberries, a tbsp each of ground flax seeds and chia seeds, a splash of almond milk, and the crucial ingredient that would make it all awesome- an overripe, but still very magical, banana.

I also threw in what I *thought* were frozen peaches from our CSA...

Those orange chunks at the bottom were, presumably, peaches. I ground it all up, drank it down, and it tasted fantastic. It wasn't until the next night, when Bobby went to make a fruit crumble (mmmm, crumble) when he held up the jar of presumed peaches and said "wait, what are these? cantaloupe, or... what?". I quickly said "they're peaches" and then realized, as soon as I did, no, no they were not peaches. They were, in fact, chunks of butternut squash that I had peeled and chopped about a week before so that I could make on of my favorite soups of all time quickly.

Moral of the story, the magical properties of bananas have been MORE than confirmed. Butternut squash is delicious in a smoothie with such unlikely blend fellows as blueberries and pumpkin puree. That has to be magic, folks.

2 comments:

  1. You really can toss anything into a smoothie. I have some unidentified chunks of fruit or veg in my freezer, too, I wonder what I could end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous fruit chunks are the perfect candidates for smoothies! :)

    ReplyDelete