Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gravy Train

I'm going to go ahead and say it- I despise creamed corn. Well, let me back up. Corn is not my favorite of foods. Oh, sure, I'll eat it. I'll never be picky enough to turn down something simply because corn is in it. But, on the whole, corn doesn't really make me sit up and smile unless it's on a cob, roasted over a fire. Out of a can? Ehhhh, do I have to? And creamed? No. Just...no.

So, with that out of the way, I'm going to go ahead and admit that what I'm about to show you looks suspiciously like creamed corn. But, per the first paragraph, I hope you will understand that if it tasted anything like creamed corn, I would not be endorsing eating it. That being said, if you do like creamed corn, I'm sure you'll also like this recipe for Jalapeno Corn Gravy, courtesy of Veganomicon.

I followed the recipe standard style. About the only thing I would change next time is a bit more seasoning. It lacked a depth of flavor, and I think that could be corrected with some sauteed red pepper, or some cumin, or even a bit of adobo sauce.

 Ingredients, part one (see, I'm not a real cook. A REAL cook would never use canned veggie broth. They would make their own and simmer it all day with fresh picked herbs or something. Bring on the cans!)
 Ingredients, part two. Let it be known that I grated off a huge chunk of my skin with my zester during the processing of that garlic. Worth it. Garlic is delicious.
 Anytime I saute onions, I think it's the best smell ever. Then I sauteed onions with jalapenos. Somehow, that's also the best smell ever. In an ever expanding universe, these things are possible.
 Corn gets added in and tossed around the pan until it starts to brown.
 I'm always amazed at how well corn starch can thicken up anything. The only fat in this is the bit of walnut oil I sauteed the veggies in, and no flour is cooked in fat like most gravies. Once it simmers for a bit, you just food process the whole thing. I added a bit more veggie broth at this point because it was looking dangerously similar to creamed corn and my alarm bells were clang a langin' in my brain.
 The finished product, waiting to douse some mashed red skinned potatoes.
This was really good. I would definitely make it again, with the spice changes I suggested at the beginning of this little picture show. I served it with Gardein chicken tenders, a rare mock meat indulgence, and barbequed pinto beans. Oh, and this beautiful salad.


I think the corn gravy would also be excellent plopped on top of a spicy black bean soup, or poured over enchiladas. It's pretty versatile and keeps well since it has virtually no fat. A lot of gravies harden up in the fridge, and when you pull them out for leftovers they kind of make you pause and think "Wait... do I want to be eating this? It's a block of jiggly, cold fat". Of course, the answer is yes, you do want to be eating it, because we all know that jiggly cold fat gets heated up into creamy, warm fat and it's delicious. So I guess I'm not really making a point here...

Anyway, here's a new point- jalapeno corn gravy is a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment