Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sausage and Biscuits

When I made this jalapeno corn gravy, I knew there would be a lot left over. In fact, part of the reason I decided to go ahead and make it was because Gimme Lean breakfast sausage was on a great sale. I figured we'd have th gravy on some potatoes for dinner, and then I'd make some whole wheat biscuits from scratch, fry up some veggie sausage, and douse it all in the gravy. Well, that's exactly what happened, and it was excellent.

 Truth be told, Bobby is the resident baker. He's usually the one who gets up on weekends and makes biscuits from scratch, or busts out my Great Granny's 1950's waffle iron and makes banana waffles from scratch. Because of this, it's nice for me to make biscuits for him sometimes, too. He found this recipe online about a year and a half ago, and with some tweaking it has resulted in the best vegan biscuit I've ever had.

Despite being whole wheat, it's not super dense and heavy. I used coconut oil in place of the lard or butter that most biscuits call for and they tasted great. The biscuits only take about 5 minutes total to measure, mix, separate, and put on the baking sheet. They cook for 12 minutes, so while they were busy making my kitchen smell great I cooked the veggie sausage and re-heated the gravy.

The finished product
 This was very good. I liked the gravy even more the morning after, because the jalapeno had a chance to really permeate everything and it tasted a bit spicier. Some fresh cracked black pepper on top made it just about perfect. I think this might also be a good gravy over some breakfast potatoes sauteed with red and green bell peppers. Who knew I could love a creamed corn look-alike so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment