Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Joys of the Simple Salad

I think the best thing about giving up animal products is that your taste buds start to change. I crave raw veggies like never before, and I've gotten to the point where previously reviled foods- mushrooms, coconut, raw carrots- are in the regular rotation. Nowhere is the change in taste more evident than in the arena of salads. Previously I always put cheese on a salad, and usually some croutons* and some creamy dressing. When we first gave up cheese, I will admit that I felt like something was missing. Now, though, a raw salad packed with veggies and drizzled in a vinaigrette dressing is something I often crave.

This was a random lunch salad. I tossed spinach, red leaf lettuce and kale together for the greens. To that I added baby heirloom tomatoes, red and orange bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, and about half a cup of canned white beans. I added avocados and a generous two tablespoon serving of chia seeds**. Then, I crumbled up one of my favorite salad additions- a Sunshine Burger. I've mentioned them before in this post. They crumble really nicely into a salad, they have about 10 grams of protein, and they are soy free (made from rice and seeds). This is an incredibly filling salad. I ate it after a morning that included biking to the gym and back (7 miles), lifting free weights while at the gym, and then running two miles upon getting home. This kept me full and happy for 5 hours until dinner time. If it's been awhile since you've had a simple salad with basic ingredients, give it a try. It might feel like something is lacking, but eventually you might surprise yourself with the kinds of cravings you start to have. I willingly eat coconut, after years of being almost nauseated by the smell. People and their tongues can definitely change. Amen.***

*My salad as a child consisted of croutons and ranch. True story.

**Please buy these in bulk and do not allow yourself to be fleeced! I have never paid more than $7.99 a pound for chia seeds, and that's on the high end. Lots of retailers are charging outrageous prices for dinky little bags. It's highway robbery. Get thee to a bulk bin.

***I dunno, it just started feeling like I was testifying of my changed life, so the "Amen" felt right.

No comments:

Post a Comment