Sunday, August 15, 2010

Coconut Banana Oat Cookies



Bobby and I had house guests all last week. They drove in last Monday- a 15 hour trip from Texas- and I fed them a mix of things I had in my fridge when they arrived late at night. Since we were all up and cookies don't take long to throw together and cook, I made these as they ate their dinner and we caught up. I still can't believe I'm not only making, but eating and enjoying, recipes with coconut in them. Seriously, as I've said before, getting organic, unsulphured, unsweetened dried shredded coconut to cook from has made all the difference. The stuff in the bags in the baking aisle, or whatever topped Sno-Balls or was stuffed into Almond Joy, almost ruined me for coconut forever.

These cookies had two mashed bananas, a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut, and a cup of oats, along with all the other standard cookie players like flour and oil and such. It was flavored with just a touch of cinnamon and vanilla, and I used brown sugar because I like the way it complements coconut. These cookies were awesome. I ate a good scoop of the batter and then had one fresh out of the oven. I think the sugar could have been completely omitted and they would have still been sweet from the bananas. It was a good start to a great week with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment