Thursday, August 19, 2010

How To Scramble



I love scrambles for breakfast. You can chuck in a ton of good veggies- especially odds 'n ends that need to get used up-, get a big dose of protein, mix in some nutritional yeast for your daily allowance of B12, and the cherry on top is you can cover it all in salsa and eat it with biscuits. This particular scramble had yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, red and yellow onions, baby bellas, and black beans. Biscuits are from scratch- unfortunately not wheat, I'm trying to use up the rest of my white flour- and the sausage is vegan. I feel like I'm leaving a veg out, but that's all I can remember.

If you want to try your hand at making a tofu scramble, the very most important thing is to get extra firm tofu, and be sure to press the hell out of it so everything stays crumbly instead of getting mushy. Another tip is to mix all of your spices together in a little bowl, so you can sprinkle it evenly since the tofu can suck up the spices so quickly. I use this recipe-

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=110

but I never use the lime/lemon juice, never add the carrot, you can't taste/feel a difference if you leave out the nutritional yeast, I don't measure any of the veg/onion, and I adjust the level of spices depending on how much extra veg I add. If you add in spinach/greens- ah! SPINACH, that's what I was leaving out!- add it in once you've crumbled the tofu in so it will wilt but not get slimy/sloggy/nasty. I have to admit, I wasn't over the moon about tofu scrambles until I made them myself at home. I always had to have my eggs *very* hard scrambled, so this gave me control over the cooking time. Have fun experimenting :)

P.S.- This makes a LOT of scramble. Get some tortillas and use the leftovers to roll up breakfast burritos, wrap them up well, and freeze for quick breakfasts. Or, just use half the block of tofu and try your hand at baking the other for a separate meal.

2 comments:

  1. I love making scramble at home! Like you, I wasn't crazy about it the first time I had it in a restaurant. But I like taking control and putting in whatever I want. Good idea to freeze it, I haven't tried that before, although I rarely have leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had it in a restaurant, it was really wet, kinda spongy, and very bland. I was a bit traumatized by the whole thing. Home cooking went *much* better :)

    ReplyDelete