Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Shredded Breakfast



I know you're probably thinking "What the what, I come to this supposedly vegan blog and this chick is putting cheese on her cereal? That's just ridiculous." No worries though, that is actually a nice sprinkling of unsweetened shredded coconut. What *is* weird is that I despised coconut until about, oh, 6 months ago. Apparently Sno Balls are not the best way to be introduced to it. Who knew? Moral of the story- if you think you don't like something from your childhood, it might just be that you ate the lowest common denominator of it. Things I thought I hated but really didn't once I tried them fresh include not just coconut, but spinach, peas, and mushrooms. But for now the topic at hand is breakfast, so...

This morning I found a wrinkly peach hiding behind an orange in my fruit drawer. I chopped it up, and put it on top of 100% whole wheat, unsweetened shredded wheat. I added the aforementioned coconut, a good sprinkle of chia seeds, some cinnamon, and a drizzle of agave. I experimented with using my vanilla chai soymilk, and while interesting I don't think I'll be doing it again. It's only very lightly sweetened, but when I add in the agave, and the peach, and the natural sweetness of the coconut, it was a bit much for breakfast. I really liked the peach/coconut combo though. I could see myself making a peach/coconut compote for whole wheat pancakes in the future, with maybe a touch of ginger and brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment