Friday, July 30, 2010

Buying the CSA Kids' Love with Vegan Cookies



So, as I've mentioned before, our CSA is through our local university, and it's run by students. They're awesome kids and they do a great job, so I decided since I'm always take, take, taking, I should give back in our relationship. I made them vegan peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. The chocolate chips were made out of a Mayan dark chocolate bar that I chopped up. The spicy chocolate was really, really good with the peanut butter. I got the recipe from ChooseVeg.com, and I modified it by adding cinnamon, the chocolate chips, and enough unsweetened coconut milk to make it not as crumbly, it was quite dry even before I added the chocolate. Here's the recipe-

Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies

* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 1 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 cup oil
* 3/4 cups sugar
* 1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, roll the dough into 2-inch balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Could it get any easier?

Here's the link- http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=236

These are about 2 inches in diameter, and they came out crumbly on the outside but moist on the inside. I definitely suggest adding whatever milk sub you like to use. Bobby and I each had two, and then I packed up the rest to take to the CSA gang. I don't know about anyone else, but it's always nerve wracking for me to make sure that if I'm going to make food for someone, it needs to be *good*, so maybe it will plant a seed of "hmm... that tastes awesome, cookies don't need milk/eggs/butter at all!". There are already so many misconceptions for vegan/vegetarian food being bland, or "missing something". This recipe was simple and quick, and it's going in the keeper file.

No comments:

Post a Comment