Friday, July 30, 2010

A Light Day



Yesterday was one of those days were nothing sounded appetizing and I wasn't that hungry. For breakfast I made a smoothie of frozen strawberries, fresh blackberries, a banana, a cup of raw swiss chard from our CSA, a few spoonfuls of fresh ground no sugar/salt almond butter, a handful of chia seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and unsweetened coconut milk. I nursed this for about an hour while I read the news online. Even if I'm not hungry in the morning, I have to eat something or else I crash later.



Random little bits leftover from taco night. I had a bowl of about 1/2 a cup of black beans and 1/2 a cup of sauteed baby bellas, orange bells, zucchini, and squash. Sprinkled the remaining chopped red onions/avocados/mangoes and some chipotle salsa on top. I ate this dip-like with some whole wheat crackers leftover from our camping trip.



I have finally tried Sunshine Burgers, and it was like seeing a double rainbow. Ok, maybe not *that* intense. Anyway, as I've mentioned before I think soy is a perfectly healthy food, but I'm not trying to eat processed soy this and that and the other every single day, and not even every other day. So I was happy to try these out since they are minimally processed and have a simple, short list of ingredients, and I thought they might join Field Roast as a favorite soy free product. This sandwich is a garden herb flavored sunshine burger on sprouted whole wheat bread, with raw: squash, orange bell pepper, tomatoes, red onions, and shredded swiss chard. I spread about half an avocado on top, along with some Vegenaise, horseradish mustard, and a good grind of fresh black pepper. I really, really liked this burger. As it admits on the box, it is not meant to taste/act like a meat substitute such as a Boca Burger, and it doesn't. It was almost like a differently flavored falafel in texture/taste, but still with a nice dense texture to it. I will definitely be eating more of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment