Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yesterday..



A quick sandwich breakfast as I ran out the door to my internship yesterday- almond butter (no sugar/salt) and no sugar added raspberry pomegranate jelly on sprouted whole wheat bread with no sugar. A big glass of water, and a shy unphotographed banana.

Lunch was a salad I picked up, baby greens, pickled beets, pumpkin seeds, croutons. It comes with goat cheese, which I usually have them leave out, but I really, really, really wanted some goat cheese- it's seriously the *only* thing I ever remotely "miss". So, not a vegan meal. And, interestingly enough, after I ate it I just felt kind of... heavy.



Speaking of cheese, let me start off by defending the cheese in this picture- the white chunks you see. It's Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet mozzarella, and it's *amazing*. It tastes soft and salty and mellow just like regular mozzarella, and contrary to pictorial evidence, I assure you it *does* melt. But,this time I wanted more cubed, feta like texture, so I chopped it in little tiny squares. It gave it a texture very similar to feta, and when you bit into it it melted in your mouth. Anyway, now that I've redeemed the soy cheese- try it, it's really good!- on to the details. This is the other whole wheat crust from the package I bought at Whole Foods, topped with tomato basil marinara and a mixture of red onions, green and red bell pepper, and garlic sauteed in a smidge of olive oil. On top of those veggies are sliced baby bellas, shredded soy pepperoni, and the aforementioned and much talked about soy cheese. Generous sprinkle of Italian seasoning, 12 minutes in the oven, and hello delicious. We scarfed this down pretty quickly and headed out the door for our West Coast Swing lessons. A very fun dance, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment