Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sushi for Dinner

I had a job interview 40 minutes away Tuesday morning, so I had to be up early. I ate a lil' blue teacup full of tropical fruit crumble for breakfast. Oh, and then I had refried bean nachos for lunch at Taco Bell. Not my most shining moments, but I was rushed and late heading out the door, and after my interview let out a Taco Bell was *right there* and I was starved. I drank a ton of water and made up for it with a healthy dinner- lots of veggie packed sushi and green tea at our favorite local spot, Mt. Fuji.



We started off with vegetable dumplings. I love these. They're not greasy and slimy like some dumplings, and the different sauces all over the plate are so good. I had a green tea because they make theirs from the powder, the way it should be :)



Next up is a standard veggie roll. I really like this roll, even though it's very simple.



Mmmm, the "Heart Attack Roll". Bobby and I have never been to a sushi place that has so many vegetarian options that are also so complex. This roll usually comes with shrimp tempura, but we always sub asparagus for it instead. Inside is asparagus, cucumber, avocado, and jalapenos, on top is a chopped mixture of mango and avocados covered in a spicy mango sauce and topped with sesame seeds. The sweet and spicy mix of this is amazing.



Last but certainly not least is the chef's newest vegetarian creation, "Buddha's Feast". This roll has a lemony fresh flavor to it. Inside we have sweet potato, squash, cucumber, avocado, and a pickled vegetable, name escapes me as I type. It is wrapped in a thin layer of tofu, and topped with a dollop of lemony guacamole and sprinkled with black sesame seeds.

We really love this place because the guy that owns it is vegan. They know what it means, so we're not getting fish eggs on top of our veggie roll. So many places lean heavily on cream cheese/mayo when it comes to veggie options, and the creativity and complexity of this place makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment