Monday, July 19, 2010

I Did Not Want to Wake Up This Morning



While that three hour nap yesterday afternoon was great and all, it left me wide awake at 1 a.m. this morning. And then the alarm went off at 7 a.m. But since Bobby works outside the house I had promised blueberry cornmeal pancakes from scratch. It's a recipe from "Veganomicon", one of my favorite (albeit fussy and involved) cookbooks. These pancakes had whole wheat flour, cornmeal, maple syrup, and lemon zest in them, among the other standard pancake dry/wet ingredients. I had two small guys with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, sprinkle of cinnamon, and chia seeds. Fruit on the side- about 1/4 of a mango, a peach, and a kiwi, also topped with more chia seeds. Unsweetened hot decaf green tea with leftover lemon zest.

As a side note- one tbsp of chia seeds gives you about 10% of your DV for calcium and iron, and 2 grams of a complete protein. They also have B vitamins and other good nutrients, and while they're pretty tasteless they gel up in liquid, which feels cool in your mouth. But, for the love of all that is good and holy, please research and buy in bulk if you can. My local Sprouts sells them for $7.99 a pound- frequently $5.99 a pound on sale- which, as you can imagine, gets you a ton of chia seeds. But I've seen them go for as high as TWENTY-FIVE dollars a pound. That's ridiculous. Search around and see if you have a health foods store that sells bulk items. Bring your own container to avoid waste, and save a load of money too :)

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make these pancakes. But my husband isn't crazy about cornmeal pancakes....darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case, you should cut the recipe in half and eat them all yourself, haha :) They're totally worth it. I was surprised at how good they were, considering the simple ingredients, and with the exception of grating the lemon zest they were just as easy as regular old pancakes.

    I also love that the authors joke about using the word "mouthfeel", but it's true, the cornmeal really does make it. As a side note, I'm really, really not big on cornmeal, and I liked them, so the husband might be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete